Unfortunately Nature’s Bounty Krill Oil contains virtually no omega 3 phospholipids. In order for krill oil to be similar to the krill oils that have been researched for heart, brain and joint health, the oil should contain at least 40% omega 3 phospholipids. It's mainly the presence of omega 3 phospholipids that makes krill oil different from fish oil and may justify the premium price at which krill oil is sold. The phospholipids not only make krill oil different from fish oil, but also account for most of the costs.
It’s sad that companies sell a krill oil supplement with virtually no phospholipids, if that confuses consumers, who could believe that they are buying a comparable supplement at a much lower price. Let’s be blunt: Nature’s Bounty's krill oil quality is more like a fish oil, because fish oil has no significant amount of phospholipids either. Therefore the Nature's Bounty price should be compared with fish oil rather than with krill oil.
Nature’s Bounty claims nevertheless on the label that their krill oil is “triple strength”. Although they don’t explain where that claim is based on, we can speculate that Nature's Bounty compares their 1,000 mg capsule of krill oil with one 300 mg krill oil capsule from the competition. If that’s the measure, then it’s triple indeed. But is it in all honesty also triple “strength” if their krill oil contains virtually no omega 3 phospholipids?
Nature's Bounty has only 0.5% phospholipids
Phospholipids are extremely valuable ($300 and more per kilo pure) and when the 40% phospholipids are removed from the krill oil the remaining 60% technically still qualifies to be named “krill oil”, because it is indeed extracted from Antarctic krill, even though it virtually lacks the phospholipid ingredient. The Nature's Bounty krill oil label discloses 5 mg phospholipids. Regular krill oil contains 400 mg phospholipids. Let's be clear: Nature's Bounty krill oil does contain omega 3 fatty acids, albeit mainly in triglyceride form.
Another positive aspect of Nature's Bounty krill oil is that it contains 1.5 mg astaxanthin per softgel. That's an estimated 15 times higher than the leading krill oil brand.
The recommended daily dose krill oil is 1,000 mg per day. Drugstore.com, one of the resellers of Nature’s Bounty krill oil, advertises this krill oil as “Nature’s Bounty Krill Max Pure Antarctic Neptune Krill Oil Softgels”.
Nature’s Bounty Review Facts:
Nature’s Bounty lowest price on Internet: $9.74 at Drugstore.com.
How many capsules? 30
How much krill oil in each capsule? 1,000 mg
Highest price on internet? $13.99 at Walgreens.com.
How many capsules? 30
How much krill oil in each capsule: 1,000mg
Last Update Nature’s Bounty Krill Oil on 1/23/2012 at 10:17 AM.