All brands of krill oil supplements are not created equal.
Quality is important. Presently, only a few companies have been able to devise ways to harvest krill oil for use in supplements for human use, because krill begin to rapidly decompose the moment they leave the water. These suppliers of krill oil tend to be few because it is a young and largely undeveloped market, and the savvy consumer will want to be knowledgeable about what to look for on a label in order to get the best value.
• Krill oil is contained in gelatin capsules, most frequently of 500 milligrams each. This is done largely because the oil will, over time, interact with the gelatin walls of the capsule, softening it and allowing for leakage – the smaller the inner surface area of the capsule, the less chance for leakage.
• Some krill oil capsules are smaller than others, containing only 300mg rather than the 500mg that other brands contain. So even taking three of these, you would be getting 10 percent less of the nutrients than if you were taking two of the 500mg capsules. Understand that this is a tactic to make a krill oil sale, to make you think you are getting a deal, paying less for the same thing, but you are paying less because you are getting less. Calculate your price per mg to determine whether or not you’re getting a good deal. If krill oil is on sale at a really low price, pass on it.
• EPA/DHA omega-3s are a reason to take either krill oil or fish oil, but remember that because the omega-3s are bound to phospholipids, they are absorbed into your body more efficiently. Therefore:
• Theamount of phospholipidsin a krill oil supplement is important. Phospholipids are what distinguish krill oil from fish oil, and that make the nutrients krill oil contain more available to your cells. The best krill oil contains a minimum of 400mg per 1,000mg dose. Check the label – if the amount of phospholipids is not listed, pass on the product. The manufacturer is trying to make a sale on consumers' ignorance. If the amount of phospholipids is negligible – such as the 5mg you’ll find on some labels – it is not really krill oil, and you will be paying for something that should be a lot less expensive. Be sure you’re getting what you are paying for.
• Finally, krill oil supplements are not yet cheap. Krill oil is difficult to harvest and process, so it is more expensive right now than fish oil. In time, prices may come down or you may sometimes find a sale on kril oil, but if you are considering buying a krill oil supplement and see a very cheap price for it, be aware that you might not be buying krill oil at all. The old adage, “you get what you pay for,” really applies here. Beware of krill oil for sale cheap.
• Future fish-oil prices may come more into line with krill oil prices, because the cold-water species from which fish oil is made are declining. This means that the fishing vessels will have to venture farther and longer to catch the amount of fish that can be made into fish oil, and fish-oil prices will have to rise accordingly. And the demand for omega-3 supplements is rising very rapidly due to the amount of information about their many health benefits. That will put even more pressure on the fish stocks, make for higher fish-oil prices, and making krill a more sought after source.
Krill oil sale
Krill oil prices are very competitive and any krill oil sale or coupon offer or discount must be viewed with great scepsis. Coupons are usually for first time buyers.
Krill oil prices for 60 capsules 500 mg each on the internet range from $18.00 to $22.50.
Krill oil prices in stores for 60 capsules of 500 mg each range from $29.00 to $45.00.
Krill oil coupon
The internet is definately cheaper if you can buy multiple units and spread the shipping cost over more than one bottle. It warrants to shop around. For example you can go to Dr. Mercola's website or go to a small competitor like Healthium.net who sells the same oil (from the same manufacturer) for much less. Furthermore, you can look for coupons, because vendors are willing to sell at cost to first time buyers. For example the before mentioned Healthium.net has a $3.00 krill oil coupon. Enter the Healthium krill oil coupon code HEALTH3at the end of your check out, and with that discount, it will probably be the best krill oil deal you can find on the net.